Friday, July 25, 2008

Blessings!

Bless the roads my father walks on!
So pavements are smooth and traffic slow.
And every turn that he takes
is to home.
Bless the people on the roads!
so they turn and look ,
and smile and nod as he goes.
Bless the doors of my mothers home!
Through which naught else ,
but light and love flows.
Bless the people around my parents home !
so they are watchful
of their neighbours who are old.
Bless my parent's daughters,
their husbands and their children-
by blood and law!
So they can love from deep within
and forgive each others flaws.
Bless my parents in their sunset years!
so they can cherish their love's labour
and be with peace and calm.

( I was deeply dissappointed when my old parents chose to continue living independently, despite my husband and my earnest pleas that it was now time for us to serve them.Both of us deeply believed, and still do, that we could offer them a more comfortable and safe life with us , and also perhaps more happiness.

For a long time I could not understand my mothers refusal- even though I know it is ultimately Gods will that prevails. Why was I not accepting Gods will?

This morning I read in TOI about Irish Blessings- the Celtic tradition of Ireland , Scotland and Wales . It said that blessing is a spiritual act where we acknowledge and remind the ones who are blessed of the connection between them and divine.The author ,Marguerite Theophil says " The true beauty of blessing is how it affects everything-by the fact that we live we are blessed;we have the power to bless others and they reflect love back to us . In the very act of blessing we are blessed".
On a sudden inspiration I wrote the above Blessing for my parents . I am already feeling more at peace . People who know me will understand more clearly that each line in the "Blessings "that I have written points to the very reason why I want my parents to live with their children now.)



6 comments:

Unknown said...

A very beautiful poem. Each line conveys such strong meaning, and so deep. Truly, god bless!

Govind said...

Priti,
your poems are really very touching,
it reflects your inner sensitivity.
Very well expressed. Love.
-Mama

Mala said...

Dear Mama and Shuchi

Thanks for the good words - the more people read - the blessing becomes stronger. Love U

Anonymous said...

Firstly, what a wonderful blessing/poem if I may say so…charged with love, respect and a myriad of emotions that takes the reader from one extreme to another…”brought a tear to my eye it truly did” (…but then…good poetry will do that to people; It stirs the soul and pulls on those heartstrings).
Secondly, I must say I was very impressed with the rest of your post, and read in reverence at your humbling words towards looking after your aged parents. How very fortunate they are to have a wonderful caring daughter like you, and an understanding and equally wonderful son (…son-in-law). I bow in humble humility to the wonderful words you wrote towards them.
Unfortunately, it is sad than they want to lead an independent life and not be a burden on anyone. I pray and hope that they will change their mind, and allow you to be of service to them in their time of need. My blessings are with you always and forever dearest sister.

Mala said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amulya said...

If what they say is right when they say God resides in every being; my blessings to each and every being that touches your parents lives.

I had always wondered what can I possibly do to ensure my parent's safety, and resorted to doing poojas and homas in temples. None gave me the desired assurance. Your words showed me the right way to pray for their well being. Thank you, Ma'am.